Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Testimonies - 1

1. I have spent five years in Jadavpur University (JU) and have heard of many students being subjected to inhuman torture and violence [denial of basic human right to articulate one's sexual orientation]. I have heard of the anti-sexual harassment cell at JU. But I have heard of some incidents where the victims were denied their own right and justice. They are being discriminated against, they are being looked down upon as if they have committed a crime. I don’t consider JU to be a safe space for people who are a bit ‘different’, who do not follow the conventional structures of society [as it is not a supportive space to discuss one's sexuality]. So an awareness campaign is required to make JU a safe [and supportive] space to provide that comfort.

2. Ragging based on sexual orientation and gender identity is something very common and I have faced it too. When I entered college I was really scared because I had heard that during ragging I would be asked to open my upper dress or indulge in talks based on sex or heavily laden with sexual connotations. During the ragging period however, we were asked to do a lot of things and when they noticed that someone acted a little different which was not befitting of their gender (for example effeminacy in a man or masculine behavior in a woman) they would laugh about it. For example they would ask me to dance and would not find it ‘womanly’ enough. They would then teach me to dance to songs like ‘Chudi jo khankain haathon mein’ and then asked to present it in front of everyone in the common room. One incident I remember was that they asked me to say ‘Chele’ five times and another time they asked me to say’ ami chele chai chele chai.’ Another incident I remember was with a boy in our class. Whenever he came in the class a whole group of boys would start shouting ‘homo homo’ Another incident I remember is of a boy who was raped by two other boys because of him being gay (I think this happened in IIT).

3. I am a first year management student. I believe some attitude, comments and behaviour have made me very uncomfortable. People often look at me and asked me if I am boy or girl and that too within my earshot. Even if not an anti ragging cell, but a few lectures, discussions or debates might have helped. I believe there are many girls like me, who need a popular helpline known to everyone so that whenever they are in need they can seek help.

4. When I passed out from Jadavpur University (1982-1994) ragging was still prevalent in some departments but based on gender identity and sexual orientation was still unheard of. At least it had never come to my eyes. Nobody wears their sexual identity on their sleeves. At that time as far as I remember, we never got that space to express ourselves. We would try to hide it rather, rather I would try to. Ragging by definition was something that the juniors would be asked to do when he/she came in the college, at least that’s my gross understanding of it. But based on sexual identity, it was quite a pressurizing feeling for us. I would try to hide it. I played a huge role in the political system in the university and I tried to hide my queer identity from them because I thought if I came out or people understood it I would be challenged and I was scared of that. People would mock me and people would not accept me anymore.

In the hostel we used to hear about how some girl was different and these stories would be a mocking point and this scared me further and I tried to hide my identity even more scared that I would be a topic of discussion someday. Times have changed and a huge movement is still in progress. If someone is of some orientation how much he/she can express itself is something different. Today dialogues have opened up. This may not have touched all the departments in JU but definitely in some departments of the Arts faculty. In the engineering and science faculty there is always a great gender divide, I can’t think of sexual identity being discussed there.

Until a step is taken against ragging it cannot be stopped. Most ragging is carried out, for example on people who might not be very smart or come from the suburban areas. The anti ragging cell might be working but who sees these three hoardings and how will he or she be satisfied or feel safe. For some who might be staying as guests in the hostel are scared that if they raise their voices then they might be thrown out of the hostel so they decide to accept it without talking about it. One needs to understand that by ragging one does not become more of a ‘man’ or seen as an assertion of one’s masculinity.We need to understand why some is ragged, whose issue is this. Even after so many elections nobody has brought this topic up. Class campaign and room campaigns are important after taking the help of the administration. Gender issues definitely need to be discussed today, it is an important part of beginning dialogues on ragging. It needs to be discussed that not all people are the same, not all people have the same sexual preference, but who will bell the cat. One needs to go back to the grassroots level to begin this. Maybe a core team should be formed, resource people from organisations working on these issues can be approached to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think JU is particularly queer sensitive. I mean, obviously in every space there are pockets where there may be some respite. Similarly in JU, the arts faculty (except perhaps the economics department) is more comfortable in a way but then again only in a very little way. I would attribute this greater tolerance in the arts faculty to the fact that queer issues are discussed in class sometimes as part of some courses leading to some amount of sensitivity.

As for people being ragged for being queer, I am sure it happens in JU as well but I haven't ever heard of any such incident. I mean homophobvia is rampant in every department, even in the English department in which I have spent five years already. Homophobia leads to lots of silencing/marginalisation. That is one kind of ragging, but I am not aware of any more conevntional physical forms of ragging based on sexual orientation.

However, one of my classmates from school also joined JU, the engineering faculty though. Another newcomer was asked to stand up against the wall (somewhere in the vicinity of the AC canteen) while he was asked to simulate anal sex with him (with clothes on though). This is obviously a form of physical ragging involving queer issues.